Thursday, August 13, 2015

Week 11 - the meals

I did something a little different this week - since I seem to always be in the kitchen, cooking and washing dishes, I thought to cut down on my prep time by doing a veggie-prep blitz as soon as we got home from farmer's market yesterday.

I de-stemmed kale in prep for adding to omelets, washed and tore lettuce into bite-sized pieces, cut up carrots, bell peppers and cucumbers for snacking, hung parsley to dry, made new batches of sauerkraut and fermented green beans. I also chopped tomatoes, cilantro, etc. for a big batch of carnitas.
 Then the boys and I shucked corn for carnitas... they took their job very seriously ;)

Now, I have been craving seafood lately - so we indulged on a recent beach trip and bought some crab, shrimp and smoked salmon... then I found salmon lox at the grocery store... oh my, this week has been tasty!

(As an aside, visiting the grocery store for the first time in a couple months was weird... and NOT fun. I used to love shopping. Now, I just compare a big box company's offerings to my local farmers' offerings... and there is no comparison. A big grocery store is cold, lacking in fresh, nutritious food, and entirely devoid of relationships that add flavor to our food. I have enjoyed meeting the people that grow my food, and many of them have become friends this summer. We know their names, see their families, their hard work and sweat on these hot summer days, and the funny personality of each pig and goat in their care. This winter going back to buying food from the stores is gonna be rough.)

Back to the food...
Sourdough Crackers
Isaac and I enjoyed a delicious crab dip for the first time at a fancy restaurant last month - so of course I had to make my own. Incredibly decadent. Good thing we aren't afraid of healthy fats here!
Hot Crab Dip
 I loved all the dishes this week, but have been especially craving this shrimp salad that I used to buy whenever we ate at Abby's Pizza... except in place of bland iceberg lettuce, storebought cucumbers, cardboard tomatoes and MSG ranch dressing, I used all fresh farmer's market veggies - red leaf lettuce, crisp armenian cucumbers, and melt-in-your-mouth juicy heirloom tomatoes, plus I added avocado and homemade ranch dressing.
Shrimp salad
Fresh applesauce and raw milk for dessert - no added sugar!
 Look at all those perfectly ripe, flavorful veggies!
Chipotle Carnitas
Smoked Salmon and Kale Omelet

Paleo Applesauce Pancakes

Cashew Butter Cookies
 This is one of my favorite summer recipes - 5 simple ingredients! Chop a mango (in this picture I substituted local peaches), one garden tomato, one bell pepper, and one avocado. Sprinkle with dried dill (of which I have run out, unfortunately). Sounds weird, but the flavors are strangely addicting!

Chicken Leek Stew with Mashed Purple Potatoes

Chicken Alfredo Pasta with Dragon Tongue Beans

No comments:

Post a Comment