Sunday, June 21, 2015

Kale...

...this incredible vegetable deserves it's own post.


I still cannot believe I spent the first 20 years of my life ignorant about kale. I always assumed it was nasty and only for die-hard health nuts.

Even when I started buying it because I knew it was good for me, I just tried it in sour kefir smoothies and did not know I was supposed to remove the stem. So it still tasted somewhat nasty.


But no more.

Homegrown tastes even better, as you can pick the leaves when they are young and tender and use them within a day or two for optimum freshness.

Now I can eat a grocery bag full in one sitting, as kale chips.

Super simple.

Here is the recipe I use:

Kale Chips

1. Take a large bunch of kale and de-stem
2. Tear leaves into little pieces and spread onto a baking sheet
3. Sprinkle with olive oil and sea salt
4. Put baking tray into the oven and turn it on to 350 degrees F.
5. Bake for 12 minutes, and then check every minute or so until desired doneness.

Kale chips will be crispy when done, but still nice and green. If underdone the leaves will still look soggy and more like steamed greens.

Other ways I love to include kale is in smoothies (de-stemmed and in moderation), fresh salads, in place of spinach in recipes, sauteed and in egg dishes such as omelets and quiches, in soups (such as sausage, kale, and white bean soup)...

...but mostly just kale chips ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment