Friday, July 31, 2015

Week 10 - Raw Milk... and more Raw Milk... and even more Raw Milk

I have begun working for my friend as she starts up her raw milk business! I much appreciate the opportunity to help out in exchange for milk.

A. I have missed milking. Didn't realize how much until I began doing it again. I think I like routine, and orderliness, and cows... and raw milk. Just a leetle bit ;)

B. It is nicer to be an employee than be responsible for running a farm. Also nicer to only be milking 2-3 times a week instead of 14 times a week... 52 weeks a year, for years in a row.

C. Yes, it is possible for a family of four to use 11 gallons of milk in a week and a half... think 2 gallons of homemade yogurt, 1/2 gallon of ice cream, 1 quart sour cream, 2 lbs of fresh mozzarella and 1 lb of chevre... plus plenty for fresh drinking.

D. Milking when it is over 100 degrees outside is interesting. Not impossible, but definitely deserving of an iced chai afterwards... thanks to my employer for the deliciousness!
I also learned how to make tahini this week...
...as an ingredient in my first attempt at hummus. Smashing success, I might add. This recipe is delicious! In looking for a way to include more raw veggies in my diet, I also discovered a way to use chickpeas and sesame seeds that have just been sitting in my pantry and freezer for ages, unused. Score!
As soon as I brought this week's CSA share home, I got some lacto-fermented green beans culturing on the counter. Can't wait for two weeks from now when they are ready to eat!
The colors of this season are so beautiful!

This week's gatherings...

CSA share - $25
5 gallons cow milk - free!
3 gallons goat milk - $25
4 dozen eggs - $10
Extra veggies - $4
Zucchini, lettuce - free
Light olive oil - $26

Total for Week 10: $90

1 comment:

  1. I always enjoy seeing what you make each week. You have inspired me and I have come up with my own challenge for us! I have recently signed up for Bountiful Baskets in my area. What a blessing!!! I was thrilled at the savings and have been enjoying filling my freezer, dehydrator, frig and juicer. So thankful. It's been fun searching for new recipes for the couple of veggies that I had never tried before. Thanks love your blog.

    ReplyDelete